Here's a great new year's recipe that incorporates that fine old tradition of black-eyed peas and greens. Try it out!
Ham & Greens Pot Pie
- 4 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- lick to see savin1 (16-ounce) package frozen seasoning blend (frozen pepper & onion blend)
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped collard greensick to see savi
- 1 (16-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
- Sauté ham in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually add chicken broth, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until broth begins to thicken.
- Bring mixture to a boil, and add seasoning blend and collard greens; return to a boil, and cook, stirring often, 15 minutes. Stir in black-eyed peas and crushed red pepper; spoon hot mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Mix cornbread mix according to package directions and pour batter evenly over hot filling mixture.
- Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and set.