Monday, February 15, 2010

Favorite # 2: Essential Oils


As promised, I will now reveal the logic behind my number 2 pick: essential oils. Since essential oils are extracts from plants, their scents simply capture the essence of the plant from which they came. One of my personal favorites is lavender- it's like burying my nose in one of my lavender plants in the summer! There’s a reason they’re called “essential!” I’m still discovering new ways to enjoy them! Here are a few ways I've been using them so far:

• Mix a few drops into Epsom salts for a relaxing bath. Add 2 or 3 drops of food coloring and place in a decorative container or jar for a quick gift.
• Add several drops to distilled water and a splash of rubbing alcohol for a refreshing body or linen spray.
• To freshen a trash can or diaper pail, put several drops on a cotton ball and place inside the can.
• Put a drop on top of your lightbulbs. The warmth of the light will release the scent and freshen the room.
• Mix into unscented lotion for a custom scent.
• Some personal favorite scents include peppermint, orange, and lavender.
• You can find essential oil at your local health food store for about $2-5 a bottle. A bottle will last a long time since you will only need to use a few drops at a time.


Here is how simple it is to make a scented bath soak with epsom salts:


Curious about epsom salts? Check out the amazing benefits of epsom salts at: http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org.

2 comments:

Lori said...

What a wonderful idea!

Tootie said...

Hey Emily! I love your blog and all your fabulous ideas. Wish I could be inspired in the gardening departement, I just know I get excited in spring and fizzle within a month. Love your recommendation for making broth. Brilliant! I will definately be trying that. I've always been trying to figure out how to make broth and store it. Have you ever canned your homemade broth instead of freezing? (I have a side by side and freezer real estate is hard to come by.) Love ya and will be checking in regularly!