Friday, November 4, 2011

Oatmeal Ideas


Today's breakfast: oatmeal with apple crisp
Oatmeal is a super food. Loaded with soluble fiber, protein, and whole grain, we should all be eating it more often. One of its most desirable features is, you guessed it, it's cheap. It only costs a few cents per serving! The problem for me is the consistency. I used to choke it down, knowing how good it was for me, but with these new ideas, it is a much more "palatable" experience. My sis, the dietitian gave a host of oatmeal ideas to me and I'd like to share them with you! These add-ins can make oatmeal a favorite breakfast for kids too:
Add/Mix-Ins:
Peanut butter
Nutella
Coconut
Cobbler (use remnants of last night's apple crisp or fruit cobbler)
Cranberry sauce
Honey
Maple syrup
Pumpkin (be sure to add some spices with this one)
Cinnamon in a shaker
Seasonal sprinkles
Fresh or frozen berries
Chopped fruit
Raisins or craisens
Nuts

Liquids to cook your oatmeal in to add extra flavor:
Milk
Soy milk
Almond milk
Cider
Juice

1 comment:

colleen said...

My kids love oatmeal and eat it nearly every day (unless we're going somewhere and I don't want oatmeal all over their clothes -- then they get dry bread =)) We've been having it with apple butter lately! I love your other ideas though. I'll have to try peanut butter tomorrow...