Monday, September 5, 2011

Take the sting out

I met a commercial bee-keeper recently and asked her what the secret was to healing a bee sting. I was skeptical when she said to put honey on the sting. After our daughter suffered two yellow-jacket stings on her finger last week, I was able to put it to the test. I promise I didn't let her know how excited I was to try this trick! We weren't home, so by the time we arrived her finger had swollen to twice its normal size. Less than a minute after putting a few drops of honey onto the affected area, the stinging (and crying) stopped, and within an hour, the swelling was gone! So next time you suffer a sting, try honey. It really works!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'll try this next time! I had always heard that meat tenderizer (the powdered spice, not the mallet!) made into a paste with a little water works. Emma got stung last year on her foot and we tried it. Took the sting away very quickly!

Denise M. said...

I just found out too that if you press a penny on the spot the copper will remove the pain and inflamation. We tried it on my 5 year old and it worked. I was amazed!

Polly said...

Cool. I will keep this in mind. Our old tricks are a sliced onion or tobacco. I'm terribly allergic so I used to keep cigarettes on me at all times in case of a sting...even though I have never & would never smoke! We don't always have onions and never have cigarettes anymore but I always have honey in the kitchen!