Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spring Fever

I know it's only the second day of March, but I've already come down with a bad case of spring fever. Even though early March is technically still winter, I can't help but feel the first hints of spring. (I'm writing this as snow is falling outside my window!) The sheep where I am "farm-sitting" had a baby girl on Sunday! I named the little beauty "Eunice". There is just nothing cuter than a brand new baby lamb. I couldn't resist sharing, so here is my new charge!

 Yesterday, I planted the seeds for our garden. We're planting all heirloom seeds this year so that we can save them and avoid buying seeds for next year's garden. For excellent selection and lightning fast shipping, try out Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds at http://rareseeds.com/. For those of you who are new at gardening, it's really simple. Simply poke a hole in the bottom of each cup in a cardboard egg carton. Fill with potting soil, plant 1-2 seeds per cup, water, and place in a sunny spot in your house. Keep moist- I use a spray bottle filled with water to prevent over-watering. When the seedlings outgrow their egg carton homes, just plant them in a larger container, cup and all. The cardboard is biodegradable, so you don't have to remove it from the plant. Mine are sitting atop a lid to a plastic bin to avoid water leakage. For information on when to plant in your area, click on the gardening tab to access the plant hardiness zone map.

                                  Beautiful seed packets from Baker Creek

No comments: