Monday, March 8, 2010

Herschel's Lucky Day

Today we experienced the first 60 degree day since probably October. I knew that spring cleaning should have been first on my list, but oh the sunshine! Well, I compromised and gave "Herschel" my beloved car a much needed interior cleaning. (By the way, if you wish to name your car and aren't sure of the gender, honk the horn. High-pitched horns are always girls and louder deeper horns are boys.) Yes strange, I know! Anyway, I tried out a few new cleaning methods that worked beautifully so here they are!
  • For windows, use a solution of 1 part white vinegar to 2 parts water combined in a spray bottle. This left no streaks and was much quicker than Windex.
  • For dashboard, vents, and stains, use unscented baby wipes. The wipes got every stain out and left no greasy stinky residue behind on the dashboard like Armor-All.
  • For carpets, add a few drops of essential oil to baking soda in a tupperware container and shake to combine. Shake onto carpets and let it sit while you clean the rest of the interior. Vacuum up.
  • Rub a drop of essential oil onto an air vent for a fresh breeze.
Here are some organizational tips to help keep your pal pristine:
  • Keep a tote bag in the car to transport things to and from the house. I use a medium sized L.L. Bean Boat and Tote bag that I adore. It's great for hauling sippy cups, papers, mail, water bottles, coupons, and anything else you can think of.
  • Keep a small box or bag containing essentials in the car at all times. By essentials I mean granola bars, napkins, baby wipes, bottled water, tissues, gum, ibuprofin, coffee filters, sunscreen, and CDs. (In case you wondered, coffee filters are perfect for holding kid's snacks in the car. Plus they're disposable!)
  • Keep a bag in the car for trash and empty it when you fill up.
  • Rotate your kid's toys and books to banish traveling boredom.
Now, if I can only take my own advice...

2 comments:

Leonora said...

Emily, you are too handy! You need to come live at my house. Who would have ever thought of using baby wipes on the dashboard. I'm going to try this!

Unknown said...

Emily, I tried honking my car horn to see what gender it is, but my neighbors got a little irritated with me- HA! I love your web site!!