Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Clean Bathroom= Happiness


Next in my spring cleaning routine are the dreaded bathrooms. Before you begin, try to picture in your mind what the bathroom of a spa or 5 star hotel looks like. I know when I go into one of these plush powder rooms I want to stay and relax! Use this for inspiration to make your bathroom an inviting place to be. Let's face it, we spend a lot of time there! Try decorating your bathroom just like any other room with pictures, flowers in a vase, and baskets. Keep a basket with hotel shampoo and soap samples, washcloths, and sample sized toothpaste under the sink so you can set it out when guests arrive. Another nice touch is to put a few drops of essential oil on the inside core of the toilet paper roll for a fresh scent. (By the way, this photo is not of my bathroom, but it is something to aspire to!)

I've been reading about non-chemical ways to remove soap scum, so I've done a little experiment. The three methods I tried were vinegar, lemon juice, and dryer sheets. Can you guess which worked the best? Believe it or not, the dryer sheets WAY out performed the others- even my heavy duty bad-for-you soap scum cleaner! Vinegar came in second, with a so-so performance, and lemon juice did almost nothing. So the verdict is to use both: spray on with vinegar and use dryer sheets to wipe away the soap scum for an extra clean bathtub. I swear, I will never be the same!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

OK! I'm gonna try it!

Tootie said...

That is a super fun tip. I'm gonna try it on water stains on my glass shower door.

Laura said...

Are these used dryer sheets? I hope so, I have lots of them.

Emily said...

I used new dryer sheets and haven't tried used ones. Also, it does take away hard water stains. Just spray with a 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water solution, let sit for 5 min, wipe with a dryer sheet and rinse. It worked great!