Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Of love and loss...

You may have noticed that I have "gone dark" the past few days. There was a death in our family and I've been out of town. The wonderful experience of being taken care of by so many friends and family have inspired me to write a post about it! When a friend is going through the loss of a loved one, I have often wondered what to say and what to do. Well, here are a few things that people have done for our family that I found particularly helpful and thoughtful, so I'm passing them along to you.
  • Bring practical items to the family such as coffee, creamer, napkins, paper cups and plates, and yes, even toilet paper!
  • Make a donation to a worthy cause in lieu of flowers.
  • When you send food, put it into disposable containers.
  • Don't feel like you have to say anything at all- a hug will do just fine.
  • Offer to do dishes or take out trash.
  • Offer to watch children for parents to go to the funeral or run errands.

1 comment:

Brandy said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Even during your time of sadness you are offering us tips. You are very kind :0) Some great ideas :0)