Friday, April 9, 2010

Will that be paper or fabric?

I am embarking on a new venture and dipping my toe into the pool of fabric napkins. I've researched the cost comparison and cloth napkins are slightly cheaper than paper, but not exponentially. So why use fabric? One good reason is that fabric napkins are more eco-friendly as less waste ends up in a landfill. But here's the kicker! The past several weeks, I have been using fabric napkins that I made and I have to say I don't think I'll be going back to paper for one simple reason: luxury. No more sratchy papery stuff on my pouters! I've been spoiled by the soft durability of my fabric napkins, and quite honestly, I feel a little silly spreading a paper napkin in my lap before I eat. Not to mention, napkins offer a fun way to spice up your table's decor with beautiful colors and textures. It evokes a satisfying feeling to see those napkins all rolled up in crisp little scrolls in a basket. So move over Cousteau, I'm going in!

Here's a quick and easy tutorial- remember I can't sew so anyone can do this!

1. Cut out your squares. (Standard napkin sizes are 12, 14, and 16”) Cut 1” larger than the final size, so if you want 12” napkins, cut out a 13” square. (Please excuse the ugly fabric and wrinkles. I found it in my scrap bin. It was free.)


2. Fold edges under twice and secure with pins
3. Stitch along the edges, about 1/4" from the edge just like you're hemming a pair of pants. Remove pins as you go.

4. Presto! You now have lovely napkins you can use again and again! Remember to use fabrics that are washing-machine friendly. Wrinkle-free fabrics are even better! (Remember, if you are an accomplished seamstress, you can do mitered corners and fancy stitching.)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, great idea! Could I use a sheet I have on hand to make the napkins out of? I bought the sheet new for $1 because I liked the fabric and have been looking for a project to use it on.

Emily said...

A sheet would be perfect for the job. You could even make a matching table runner out of the same sheet if you're feeling ambitious!