Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rebate Season is Here!

If you saw a $10 bill lying on the ground would you pick it up? That's how I look at rebate forms- why not accept some free money? Rebates are simply pieces of paper that will turn into money when I send them in! Would you believe that I've already made about $75 this year from rebates, and I didn't buy a thing I didn't need? I know, you're thinking about the agony of collecting reciepts, filling out tedious forms, and (heaven forbid) using an envelope and stamp to mail it! Trust me, it's easy. Here are some tips to get you started on claiming some serious cash through rebates:
  • When you're doing your grocery shopping, keep an eye out for rebate forms. Tear-off pads of forms can usually be found on or around beer displays or wine sections of the store. Usually, rebates do not require you to buy beer or wine- for some reason beer and wine companies just offer the most rebates.
  • Fill out the form and mail it as soon as you get home- don't procrastinate!
  • Not sure where the rebates are in the store? Ask someone in customer service to check for you.
  • Want to use the same purchase for 2 seperate rebates? At checkout, ask the cashier to print an extra receipt.
  • Rebate forms are simple: name, address, sometimes phone number, and birth date (to prove that you are over 19). I have never received junk mail or phone calls as a result of a rebate.
  • Can't find rebates in your store? Ask a friend to look in their store and pick up a few for you. My sister does this for me all of the time!
  • Rebates are more plentiful at certain times of year: fall (football food), Christmas (Christmas & New Year parties), January (Super Bowl parties), and May/June for summer cookouts & grilling.
 Here are a few examples of rebates I'm using:

So this week, I'll get $5 back from my $10 fresh fruit purchase, $10 back from my $30 summer food purchase, and a free 8lb. bag of ice. Thanks Miller Lite and Icehouse- how kind of you! I don't even like beer.

2 comments:

Leonora said...

Thanks Emily. I never thought about rebates, but I'll sure look for them now!

Anonymous said...

It's true! I "earned" over $100 last year in rebates I picked up here and there. Don't forget to check your forms as sometimes they require UPC symbols and I've thrown away the packaging before filling out the rebate. Love your blog!