Friday, April 8, 2011

It never hurts to ask!

Asking is definitely underrated! More often than not, I've not only been glad that I asked but I've actually been rewarded for it!
  • Asking is a great policy at yard sales. If you see an item that you'd like multiples of (ie. plates or a set of something) and there is only one or two of that item, ask if they have more. Sometimes they will go find more for you inside of the house or garage!
  • I recently bought an item on ebay that I liked so much I was interested in buying more. The same seller had more of the exact item listed, so instead of paying what she was asking, I asked if I could buy 2 and get a discount (that I suggested). She happily gave me the discount and we both got a great deal!
  • We ordered honey bees for our small yard, but we'd like a little more space. I noticed an empty lot across the street that would be perfect. The owners live out of town, so I looked up their name and address on the county GIS and sent a letter asking for their permission to put the hive on their lot. I'll let you know if I hear back from them!
  • We bought a dresser a few months back on craigslist. I noticed a beautiful table next to the dresser and asked if it was for sale. They said "Sure!" and we got an amazing deal!
So never be afraid to ask- the worst thing that can happen is that they'll say no.

1 comment:

Leonora said...

Exactly how we bought our land, Emily. I saw the empty field, went down to the courthouse, looked up the owner, wrote him a letter kindly asking if he'd sell it to us. One month later it was ours!