Friday, October 1, 2010

Fall Gardening

It's never to late to start a garden! Even though it's late in the season, you can still grow veggies outside. Right now, you can plant garlic, radishes, spinach, beets, carrots, turnips, and even lettuce if you keep it under plastic hoops or a cold frame. Don't forget that now is the time for planting flower bulbs too. Tulips, crocuses, daffodils and hyacinths are some of the easiest to find right now. Plant flower bulbs in groupings for a big impact when spring arrives!

I'm trying garlic for the first time this year- I'll let you know how it goes. Here's a quick tutorial on how to palnt garlic:
Plant in mid-october for an early summer harvest.
Break up the bulb and plant the cloves individually, poiny end up.
Plant the cloves 1" deep and 4" apart.
Shoots of fall-planted garlic should appear in the spring!

1 comment:

Brandy said...

Oh my, this is so helpful.! I want to have a garden, but don't know what to plant when and how to do it frugally. I don't want to spend more on the garden supplies than I would on the food :0) Keep this info coming! Thanks!