Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fall Decorating

I love decorating the house for fall. I know it's not technically a holiday, but why not celebrate the cool weather and bright colors? Take your inspiration from the great outdoors. Fill vases with acorns, chestnuts, pears, pomegrantes, apples, pumpkins, and small gourds. Fill bowls with osage oranges. (In case you aren't familiar with these little treasures, don't worry- I'm blogging on them later this week.) Scatter leaves on your table and set a pumpkin in the center. Speaking of pumpkins, find creative ways to display them. One year I drilled holes into our pumpkin for a polka-dot look. This year I have 3 heirloom pumpkins in a tower. Carve you or your child's initials, address number, or school emblem into your pumpkin! Poke apples onto skewers and add leaves for a "boquet". (pictured below) Artfully arrange branches and twigs in a unique vase of cannister. The most fun part is going out and gathering nature's goodies. We don't have a large yard or even a tree, so I go to our local park or a friend's property. I don't think anyone will get arrested for taking some fallen leaves and acorns! If like me, you sometimes struggle for inspiration, go to your favorite home store's website and snag ideas. The acorns pictured below are from Pottery Barn. (Just don't pay $14 for "designer" acorns when you can get them for free!) Did I say that out loud?

2 comments:

Jessica Lawson said...

You can come gather "nature's goodies" at my place anytime. There's more than enough for you and probably most of the readers! I agree though. My daughter loves to gather acorns and leaves for a centerpiece. We bought a pretty (green) plate charger ($1), spread the leaves on the bottom and then top off with miniature pumpkins and acorns. Then, we put it in the middle of the table for everyone to enjoy. We also put twigs in vases for height on the Thanksgiving table. I love the acorns in a vase idea - thanks :)

Tricia said...

Ok I LOVE your blog (just popped over for the first time from Brandy Sexton's site), but I am going to have to politely and respectfully disagree with you on this gathering your own acorns thing. Read this:

http://www.hornes.org/2009/11/when-it-pays-to-spend-14/

and this:

http://www.hornes.org/2009/11/if-hearing-about-the-acorn-grubs-two-posts-ago-bothered-you/

and see why! :-)

Thanks for the wonderful site, I just sent your link to my SIL and I know she will love it too! Merry Christmas!