Monday, August 30, 2010

Nice "Re-covery"

So I've had these lovely fiddle back chairs in my garage for 4 years. I bought them at an estate sale for $4 each and gave them a good re-finishing and paint job. They sat in the garage for another year. I've finally mustered the courage to upholster the seats and I'm pleasantly surprised to have pulled it off! *Warning, this job was not done by a professional. Please do try this at home!

Trace and cut out a piece of foam (I used 2" thick), using the seat as a guide.

Cut out a piece of quilt batting and your material about 2" larger than the foam.

Lay down the layers in this order: material (right side down), batting, foam, board.

Pull the fabric over the edges and staple onto the board. Try not to get wrinkles around the corners when you gather them. (A little tricky but not too hard.)
One down, three more to go!
*All of the materials needed to do this can be found at any fabric store.

2 comments:

Leonora said...

These turned out SO pretty! I love the fabric you chose.

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous! Nice work - and what a deal!

Kim P