Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Top 5 Favorites for Under $5

Don’t you just love a good top 5 list? It’s a tangible acknowledgement of the cream of the crop. A valuable, no nonsense recognition of greatness! With this humble introduction I give you the upper echelon of my most favorite products which I now deem essential to my well-being.

1. Spray Paint
2. Essential Oils
3. Post It Notes
4. Baskets
5. My Pet Paring Knife

I'll start today by singing the praises of my number one pick: spray paint!

Let’s just think of it as “furniture makeup”. Take a pock-marked, unsightly piece of furniture whose battered facade could give scar-face a run for his money. Add a little spray paint and presto! Your unsightly item has a new face and a useful new life.
Here’s a list of things in my house that once needed a little “makeup”:

• Light fixtures- turn shiny brass into black, chrome, or bronze. (Do this outside and out of the wind.)
• Shutters- use a paint specifically designed to bond to plastics.
• Plastic planters- turn a faded pot into a work of art with a textured or hammered finish spray paint.
• Picture frames- spray paint odd frames to form a coordinated grouping. Not sure what color to use? Black or white is always a classic!
• Tables and chairs- I’ll post pictures later of my current chair project!
• Lamp bases
• Cribs & beds- I made a matching set from yard sale finds by painting them all white.
• Baskets- paint them to match the occasion. Red or green for Christmas, metallic for a wedding, or to match a party scheme.
• Mirrors- use painter’s tape and newspaper to cover the mirror while you spray paint the frame.
• Spray paint comes in a variety of colors and textures. Make sure to read the label and use on the recommended surface. Spray paint can be found at any home improvement store. Watch out, you are going to be hopelessly addicted!

Here are some things around the house that were at one time most unsavory characters!

4 comments:

Laura said...

I clicked on every tab and had time to read all the thoughtful tips. I'm kicking myself for not seeing the coupon for the Kraft cheese last week. I used a coupon but not as good as the one you mentioned. I also noticed that some of the cheese was in a 7oz package instead. I bought all the 8oz ones they had left and put them in my freezer.

I'll come to your blog often and will put a link on my Classical Conversations yahoo group.

s said...

What a great blog, cute and useful, I love it. You are so crafty and creative.
I was looking at your section on coupons, and I will be honest with you. Coupons scare me to death. i have always wanted to be one of those coupony people, but I am torn. The thought of all the effort of the clipping and organizing etc. when I am already super short on time, ghoing through the aisles and trying to determine matches between products and coupons I have. It seems almost overwhelming. And I think couponers have a bit of a reputation of holding up lines. :) But the amount that you (and at least one other person I know)save is incredible. I am inspired. I will keep reading your blog because I want to be able to shop like you!

Lori said...

We have a mutual friend, Rebekah, which is how I found your blog! I will look forward to reading it!

Rosenberger Rumors said...

Wow, Emily! This is great. I am inspired to paint some of my light fixtures that I thought just yesterday, "When will we ever have the extra money to replace those ugly things?"