Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

I've been interested in trying out making homemade dishwashing detergent for a while now and have finally mustered the courage to try. I just can't see why I have to pay 6 bucks (on sale, mind you) for a 12 pack of those handy little pods, only to be out in a week's time! Well, the good news is, after numerous loads, this simple and dirt cheap concoction cleaned the dishes just as well as the high dollar pods. Simply mix equal parts of Borax and baking soda. Fill the detergent well in your dishwasher and you're good to go! Store in a pretty jar and you'll feel even better about it.
*This also works in high efficiency washers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much do you use? Are we talking Tablespoons or 1/4 cups? Love this idea! Brilliant!

Emily said...

2 Tablespoons of the mixture will wash one load. Enjoy! =)

Jamie said...

Been searching for an alternative. I should have known you would have the answer!

Audrey said...

Wow, that's it? Thanks for sharing, I am definitely going to try this one!

Anonymous said...

I am using this at present but I find it leaves spots on some of my dishes. Any advice?

Anonymous said...

This really works:)