Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chalk Paint

After hearing about the new chalk paint craze, I decided to give it a shot. Chalk paint is a specialty paint that allows you to paint without a primer and lends a weathered appearance. You can find chalk paint online for a whopping $40 a pint, but this recipe worked well with great coverage. Just combine 3 parts paint to 1 part plaster of paris. The mix will be thick, so add water to bring the paint back to its original consistency. Paint onto furniture (I used 2 coats), lightly sand with 100 grit sandpaper on areas you wish to distress and rub paste wax over the painted surface with a clean rag. The wax give it a nice patina and takes away that chalky feel. I used SC Johnson's paste wax in the yellow tub and it worked just fine. Total cost: $17 (I used leftover paint).
Dark and boring corner cabinet before


Bright and breezy after!
Distressed areas up close
More distress!
 
Tricks of the trade

1 comment:

Leonora said...

The cabinet looks great! I love the blue interior. I've heard so much about chalk paint, but never tried it. Thanks for the tips.