Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Popcorn Comparison

I love popcorn. It's probably my favorite snack. Several years ago I converted from the microwave variety to an air popper and was pleasantly surprised by the more pronounced flavor and ability to control the fat and salt. One of the best features of using a popcorn popper is the savings. Yesterday I cut open an unpopped bag of microwave popcorn to measure the kernels for a cost comparison. The results are in! A bag of microwaveable popcorn will set you back about $.50 if you get it on sale. The exact same amount of popcorn prepared in a popper will cost only $.15 regular price. "What about the price of the popper?" you ask. Check yard sales and thrift stores. I found mine for $4 at a thrift store, brand new and found a new one at a yard sale last month for a friend for $2. I thought I'd post a picture of the unpopped microwave corn. It's covered in some sort of solid fatty substance that looks and feels like shortening. So keep an eye out for a popcorn popper- your arteries will thank you!

No comments: