Monday, May 24, 2010

One Man's Junk...

I have a story in the making concerning craigslist, so I'll keep you posted on how it ends. We have 3 lawn mowers in our garage, none of which are working. We've bought used ones every time an old one died and just never got rid of the old ones. My husband has been cleaning out the garage and mentioned that he needed to go to the landfill to pitch the lawn mowers. I cringed at the fee ($9 just to toss them into the landfill) and the environmental cost. So I decided to try something else: craigslist. Last night I put all three broken mowers up for sale for "best offer" and by 7:00 this morning I had 3 emails from interested buyers! Not only will we not have to pay a fee to dump the mowers and increase trash in our landfill, but we'll actually make money off of them! I have resolved to put all of our junk (no matter how useless it may seem) up for sale and I'll post the grand total when it's all gone.

Another example of how to utilitze craigslist comes from a friend of my sister's. She wanted a large amount of apples to make apple butter but couldn't bring herself to pay the high price. She posted an ad on craigslist stating that she needed apples and would come pick them herself. She picked all of the apples she needed, and for free! You never know what you'll find (or what will find you) on craigslist!

Check out your local listings at http://www.craigslist.org/

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I agree that Craigslist can be a great tool! But be "wise as serpents!" Craigslist can also be used by those with criminal intentions, as in the recent case where a man put a ring up for sale and the "buyer" who showed up was instead a group of thieves who beat his son and shot the Father, as he tried to protect him, in front of his whole family! Use caution when going anywhere to pick up things you are buying -- meet the seller (or the buyer, if you are the one selling) in a public place if possible, not your home. Never complete a transaction alone if at all possible.