Friday, July 23, 2010

Ice, ice baby!

Last week, I guillotined my big toe with a cookie sheet of all things! How I managed to drop the sheet from the counter thus sending its edge into my ill-fated metatarsal, I will never know. Needless to say, (while it was turning a hideous shade of mauve) I was not ready to sacrifice a poor unsuspecting bag of frozen peas so I used this little gem to ease my toe's woes. Here's the "recipe" for my homemade ice pack:

1. Combine one part alcohol to 6 parts water.
2. Pour into ziploc bag and seal, removing as much air as possible.
3. Place in freezer.
*Since alcohol has a lower freezing point than water, the pack will stay slushy, which is much more comfortable than a hard ice pack! I didn't have any smaller bags on hand, as you can see, but I recommend the smaller freezer bags. I set out a pre-frozen pack to see how long it would last and it completely melted after about 45 minutes, so expect it to last about 30-45 minutes on your injury.

No comments: