Friday, September 10, 2010

The Power of Dough

I cannot emphasize enough the value of cookie dough. No, I'm not talking about that stuff in a tube from the store that will last a decade from all of the preservatives in it! I mean the real deal, homemade with real butter kind of cookie dough. My freezer always has at least one log of cookie dough in it, ready for action! When I'm in the mood for something sweet, I just slice off a few cookies and throw them in the oven. No mess and no overeating! When I have to take dinner to someone, I almost always include a log of cookie dough with the baking instructions written on the bag. People dropping by? No problem- just slice and bake for a quick snack. Here's one of my favorite recipes. Just try not to eat all the dough before it hits the freezer!

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats
2 cups chocolate chips

Beat butter at medium speed til creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs and vanilla til combined. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in oats and chips. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350* for 12 min. Cool on sheets 3 min. Cool completely on wire racks. Makes about 5 dozen.

To freeze: roll dough into 2 logs and wrap in waxed paper. Put wrapped logs into freezer Ziploc bags. They will last several months, but I've never had them longer than this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I'm inspired to mix up some dough!